Tuesday, July 17, 2007

crippled by indecision

as some of you may know, I can be a bit indecisive. (heh) whenever I go out to eat (which is often), I generally narrow my preferences down to 2-3 entrees and then ask the server for their recommendation (which I may or may not take). I don't know why this is... I've just always been this way.

yesterday I finally decided to upgrade my ancient Nokia brick phone (which, to its credit, has not only survived a million and one business/personal trips around the world but also survived a short stay in my friend Erin's dog's mouth). I have been carrying two devices for a long time -- a work blackberry for work emails and meeting schedules and a personal cell phone for phone calls and text messaging -- and decided that the time was nigh to make the big switch.

after a few cursory Internet searches, I headed over to the AT&T Wireless store to make my purchase... and that's when the indecision set in. blackberry curve or the sexy red blackberry pearl? curve? pearl? pearl? curve? oooooh looky over there at the pretty, pretty iphone (which is admittedly awesome but a horrible business tool -- typing on that thing was a bitch and a half).

I finally decided upon the red pearl (what can I say, I love red accessories and the curve only comes in silver) but am having a bit of buyer's remorse. the pearl looks amazing but I'm still not quite used to the keyboard... I can text like a maniac but the layout of these keys takes some getting used to and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have paid the extra $50 for a curve with a full QWERTY keyboard. the pearl is prettier, but the curve is probably more practical.

:(

what do you think?







6 comments:

  1. I think the Pearl is uber cute, but I can't imagine typing emails without a full keyboard. Of course, I rejoice in the fact that my nonprofit employer prevents me from having my email on the go. My work just about gives me ulcers as it is... I don't need that on Saturday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, i also prefer the pearl. then again, i don't have to write full-on emails on my phone. do they have T9 for email? even if so it might be frustratingly slow... i would feel like a d-bag holding that silly curve up to my head to take a call. frankly i'm surprised you didn't go the iphone route. i tried typing on a friend's; it wasn't THAT bad. just take some getting used to. i'm with sass -- keep the phone small and the work at work!

    anyway i'll still love you whichever you choose. unless, and i jest not, you holster that ish on your belt. that is a complete deal-breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thing is, the curve is not that much bigger than the pearl. it may look huge and bulky but it's actually super-slim and only a wee bit wider (to accommodate keyboard i suppose). the pearl definitely has predictive text but it's a bit different... keyboard layout is different from a phone so it takes some getting used to.

    sigh. i write a TON of emails on this thing, so i'm thinking that curve may be the way to go...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i see. the curve also has that landscape layout/aspect ratio that probably feels much better for email. more like a real computer screen. plain silver is lame, but you could bling it up teen-style with some stick-on rhinestones! heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with whatever Elizabeth says

    ReplyDelete
  6. i vote for the curve. hands down. yes, the pearl comes in better colors, but when push comes to shove and you are saving a project of yours from the road, which will get the job done and save yours. hah. practicality all the way.

    ReplyDelete